Thursday, October 30, 2008

Library Ignorance

So I work at a library at my community college and I swear some people that come through here... but yeah. So the top things that I hate getting asked or that I hate people doing:

1. "Do you have a bathroom?"

Not, "where are the bathrooms" but if we HAVE them! I always want to say, "no we just pee on the floor around here." Really, ask your questions correctly.

2. Going to the computer I am not at.

There are two computers at the circulation desk, but sometimes I am the only one at the circulation desk. People have this horrible habit of going to the computer I am not stationed at to check out something. Just walk a couple more steps so I don't have to walk over there, come back to my computer, then walk back over to you.

3. Pointing or whispering.

We have headsets at the circulation desk that people can check out, and I hate it when people just point at them. Ask for the headsets! Some people don't even point, they just walk up with their card out like I am supposed to know exactly what they want, which I don't considering we check out all kinds of reserve stuff at the circulation desk. Also, people whisper. We are on a completely different level than the actual "quiet" library, and I can't read lips. So talk up.

4. The Library Club.

I have had many people come in here thinking that this is some kind of club. They just like to hang out in here. What? It's the library!

5. People who don't know what they are looking for-at all.

"You know... that thing... uhm..."

I don't have a lot to work with.

6. People who assume I can magically fix a machine that is messing up or do all sorts of things.

I am a library assistant. That should tell you enough.



So any thoughts?

No comments: